[XeTeX] xetex+babel, was: missing everything

Martin Henning martin at easy2design.de
Thu Jan 19 14:35:11 CET 2006

woohooo! Jonathan!

On Jan 19, 2006, at 2:35 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> OK, I think I know what you can do. Ideally, this should be
> integrated into Babel, I guess, but you can work around it like this:
>
> (1) BEFORE loading the Babel package (with Russian option), say:
>
> 	\newcommand\cyrillicencoding{U}
>
> This will stop Babel (and russianb.ldf) trying to find some other
> font encoding for Cyrillic. Then your chosen font (through
> fontspec) will be used for the Russian text.
>
> (2) The remaining problem is that now the Russian text from Babel
> won't appear, because the Cyrillic character names it uses (\cyra,
> \cyrb, etc) aren't defined. To fix this, AFTER loading the xunicode
> package, add:
>
> 	\input{cyrunicode}

THAT works! Thank you! Works with my document and the test code
below! BUT: Same as earlier in this Thread, the Italics seem to be
missing.. or rather.. i get a warning even though i can see italics...

//--- <snip> ---------------------------------------------

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/CharisSIL+map:tex-text
+lnumit:CharisSILItal
icbf:CharisSILBoldbfit:CharisSILBoldItalic/m/n' undefined
(Font)              using `OT1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 4.

)

//--- </snip> ---------------------------------------------

and the test-page i've been using (same happens in my document):

//--- <snip> ---------------------------------------------

\documentclass[a4paper]{scrartcl}

\newcommand\cyrillicencoding{U}
\usepackage[ngerman,english,russian]{babel} %doesn't work
%\usepackage[ngerman,english]{babel} %works

\usepackage{fontspec,xunicode}
\input{cyrunicode}

\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setromanfont[%
		Numbers=Lining,%
		ItalicFont={Charis SIL Italic},%
		BoldFont={Charis SIL Bold},
		BoldItalicFont={Charis SIL Bold Italic}%
		]%
		{Charis SIL}
\setsansfont[Scale=1.01]{Lucida Grande}
\setmonofont[Scale=0.90]{Monaco}

\renewcommand\encodingdefault{U}

\begin{document}

\title{test title по-русски}	%should be in bold "fontspec font"
\author{test author} %should be in normal "fontspec font"
\date{\today} %should be in RUSSIAN + "fontspec font"

\maketitle

\texttt{Это по-русски... если работает ;)} \\
\textbf{Это по-русски... если работает ;)}\\
\textit{Это по-русски... если работает ;)}\\
Это по-русски... если работает ;)

\end{document}

//--- </snip> ---------------------------------------------

i'm thinking about putting some kind of searchable xetex FAQ on the
web, for problems like this... all the nifty little tricks that
appeared on the list at some time will eventually get lost, if one
doesn't have proper imagination for searchable words on google...

thank you very much for your support, i guess in th future we will
need a new xe-babel-package - just as bruno pointed out... it is not
going to work with most of the included languages :'(

thanx thanx thanx,

echo happy("martin");

--
Martin Henning