[XeTeX] psfonts.map not found

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jan 19 11:20:44 CET 2006

On 19 Jan 2006, at 1:33 am, Shunichi AMANO wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am still wondering why xdv2pdf cannot find psfonts.map.
> I am afraid that it relates to exactly where the files are put.
>
> My home texmf is ~/temxf and xelatex etc. are in ~/bin.
> The texmf is /usr/local/teTeX/bin (I change the path from when I
> posted the original problem; and the other old installation is in /
> usr/local/share/texmf/, should this be problematic?).

The usual setup would be to have the xetex and xdv2pdf binaries in
the same location as your other TeX binaries (pdftex, kpsewhich,
etc)... presumably that is /usr/local/teTeX/bin in your case. If
you're putting them in a different location (like ~/bin) that may
affect where files are found. I'm guessing that perhaps xdv2pdf does
not find the texmf.cnf file that should tell it the paths for other
things.

Maybe a symlink in ~/bin to the proper texmf.cnf would help the
program find it?

Have you tried putting the xetex programs in the same location as
other TeX programs? That's how they were intended to be used.

> Another question as to the instruction for fink tetex. In the
> almost last step, it says,
> $ cd src/XeTeX/share/texmf.local/
> $ ln -s /sw/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/dvips .
> But why not "cd src/XeTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map"? Running
> updmap warns obsolete places of map files.

Does this alternative work? I don't use fink tetex, so I'm unable to
comment on this; I've just passed on the information that was given
to me.

> I hope I could use xetex at least in some future release and thanks
> for a great software (since I don't like computer modern).

Perhaps someone out there would like to create a real fink package
for installing xetex along with fink's tetex. Clearly, it can be
done, as there are fink users who have successfully run xetex, but
I'm afraid I don't have the resources to investigate and support
every possible variation and configuration.