[XeTeX] On combining diacritics again

Nicola Vitacolonna vitacolo at dimi.uniud.it
Thu Jan 19 11:09:01 CET 2006

Hello,
I have read in another thread (subject: "misplaced combining
diacritical marks") about the way XeTeX and Cocoa (differently)
handle diacritics stacking. The suggestion there is to use a font
like Doulos SIL, which includes features for stacking arbitrary
diacritics signs that work in XeTeX.

The same problem (XeTeX overlaps, instead of stacking, diacritics in
pdf output) occurs when combining, say, U+0117 (Latin Small Letter e
with dot above) with U+0301 (Combining Acute Accent). The output is
fine with Doulos SIL, but not with other fonts (e.g. Gentium). I was
wondering whether  the reason for this behaviour still depends on the
text rendering engine, since in this case I am not stacking two
"combining accents", but rather a "letter" with an accent (I guess U
+0117 should be considered as a unique symbol, not a combination of
'e' with an accent).

(My apology if this question is trivial or my terminology not
appropriate: I am not a Unicode or font expert)

Nicola