[XeTeX] missing everything

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jan 19 00:32:38 CET 2006

On 18 Jan 2006, at 11:20 pm, Martin Henning wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2006, at 1:47 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>>
>> This indicates that LaTeX is looking for the Charis font with T2A
>> encoding, which doesn't exist; fonts loaded through fontspec use
>> encoding "U".
>
> Does it mean using just "article" could rule our your assumption
> with the U/T2A encoding? Unfortunately not... i took a closer look
> at the output... don't dare to paste everything in here, but i'll
> paste some more... something really seems to be changing encodings
> somewhere...

Probably the Babel Russian support, in some way.

[snip]

> i actually tried to use inputenc utf8 to get rid of the babel-
> warning, but i guess that didn't help.

No, xetex doesn't need (or want) inputenc to try and interpret utf8,
it handles that natively.

> or is the fontenc missing? hmmm...

yes, it's font encodings that are getting in the way here, that shows
in the LaTeX font warnings.

> i will play some more.
>
> need to sleep first, it's 2:20a.m. in moscow :'(

If you *don't* load Babel's Russian option, I'd expect that you can
put Russian text in a (UTF-8 encoded) input document and it'll simply
work, using fonts such as Lucida Grande or Charis SIL. The main
things you'll be missing are the proper hyphenation, and the Russian
versions of LaTeX-generated text such as "Theorem" or "Figure" or
"Chapter". The question is how to get access to that, *without* Babel
trying to take over the font encoding and map everything back to some
legacy 8-bit Russian font encoding that won't work with Unicode-
compliant fonts.

It's getting late here too; maybe I can look at this tomorrow. But
I'm not a LaTeX/Babel expert.

Goodnight!