[XeTeX] Howto "mark" languages / BiBTeX / and more :-)

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Wed Jan 18 16:22:55 CET 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 03:39, Martin Henning wrote:

> and that is not all! (ok, this might actually fit on OS X TeX...
> hope you don't mind it here...) as of now i'm still wondering what
> i am doing wrong with bibtex... i am able to generate a preview of
> the .bib-file in bibdesk, so i figured i'd use the settings from
> the preview template in my .tex file, but nothing works out at all.
> just before the \end{document}
> i have this:
> \bibliographystyle{abbrv}
> \bibliography{bib/pican_1}

Should be fine, as long as bib/pican_1.bib exists.

> with pican_1 being a .bib-file from bibdesk. i inserted a citation
> with \cite{robot}, but all i get is errors:
> [1] (./content/intro.tex
> LaTeX Warning: Citation `robot' on page 2 undefined on input line 3.
> ) [2]
> No file pican.bbl.
> (./pican.aux)
> LaTeX Warning: There were undefined references.
> )
> so why is he looking for a .bbl-file?! it seems to me, that i
> didn't understand some really basic stuff about the system, but my
> code looks like in all the howtos on the net? i have \usepackage
> {natbib}, but i guess it doesn't matter for the style i used... ?

Did you forget to run the bibtex program itself?  Something like

xelatex intro.tex
bibtex intro.tex
xelatex intro.tex
xelatex intro.tex

is required to generate the .bbl file and process the references

> what is really strange (or normal?) about all of the styles i can
> choose from... NONE of them is able to actually print out the URL
> if the reference is an url in bibdesk - why is that? looked at the
> files for the styles, but it seems to me that it would take some
> time to actually edit one to make it do what i need - someone must
> have done it before :)

Some of the natbib variants print the URL; try using abbrvnat instead
of abbrv for the style.  You should also use hyperref.sty or url.sty,
which properly handle line breaks and special characters in URLs.
See <http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=citeURL> for more

hope this helps,