[XeTeX] missing italics

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Tue Jan 17 06:05:54 CET 2006

On 16/01/2006, at 23:13 , Yves Codet wrote:

> I recently upgraded to XeTeX 0.99b and in a document which I had
> started writing before I upgraded italics don't appear anymore (a
> sample file is attached below). There is a message I don't
> understand in the .log file:
> 	LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `U/CharisSIL/m/sl' undefined
> 	(Font)              using `U/CharisSIL/m/n' instead on input line 27.
> I didn't ask for slanted letters.

I wasn't sure if this issue ended up being fixed or not at your end.
I suspect that although Charis might have that bug, it's actually
more of a fontspec problem.

The font warning mentions "U/CharisSIL/m/sl" which is undisputedly
slanted, not italic (a confusing distinction in LaTeX that I very
much dislike). I don't know where it might be coming from -- like JK
said, the problem is solved with something like
   \setromanfont[ItalicFont=Charis SIL Italic]{Charis SIL}
since XeTeX isn't picking up the italic font correctly.

But even with that in place, with correctly appearing |\emph|'s, the
warning still appears. More investigating is required...

Will