[XeTeX] missing italics

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jan 16 14:12:12 CET 2006

On 16 Jan 2006, at 12:43 pm, Yves Codet wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I recently upgraded to XeTeX 0.99b and in a document which I had
> started writing before I upgraded italics don't appear anymore (a
> sample file is attached below). There is a message I don't
> understand in the .log file:
> 	LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `U/CharisSIL/m/sl' undefined
> 	(Font)              using `U/CharisSIL/m/n' instead on input line 27.
> I didn't ask for slanted letters.

I think this is happening because of a bug in the current beta of the
Charis SIL fonts: what's happening is that the Regular font reports
itself, in certain ways, as being italic; which then means that XeTeX
doesn't find a separate "more italic" face to go with it; and then
LaTeX attempts to fall back to slanted instead. Or something along
those lines. Oh, and it fools fontspec's \emph code, I expect.

Ironically, it probably used to work OK because XeTeX was sloppier
about finding styled fonts -- now that it is more careful, the bug in
Charis is causing it to fail!

This should be fixed in the next Charis release, coming soon....

(Meanwhile, if you try \setromanfont{Gentium} instead, you should see
italics where you expect them.)

> Best wishes,
>
> Yves
>
> P.S. Is the hyphenation issue being solved?

I've fixed one issue in the code for 0.991, at least; I'm not
completely sure if this is the only problem, but it seems to be
working for me. I hope to find time to finish and release 0.991
fairly soon, but email me if you'd like to hand-install and try an
interim version to see if it solves the Greek issue for you.