[XeTeX] Greek Hyphenation (monotoniko)

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jan 11 16:07:10 CET 2006

On 11 Jan 2006, at 2:16 pm, Yves Codet wrote:

> Le 10 janv. 06, à 14:18, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> Are you sure it doesn't work? It seems to in my testing.
>>
>> Note that I've just realized that the \showhyphens macro from
>> Plain TeX isn't useful when working with Unicode fonts in XeTeX;
>> it won't show you the hyphens that would be found. Could that be
>> misleading you?
>
> I have just recompiled formats and tried again: there is no
> hyphenation after diacritics in the decomposed text, and even in
> some other cases. Perhaps I made a mistake when I converted it with
> TECKit. If you have some time for a test I can send you both files
> (in a private mail, since I suppose the TLG licence does not allow
> to publicly distribute texts).

What I'm seeing when I try this is that hyphenation after diacritics
occurs as expected in the decomposed text.... but in the fully
precomposed text, I am *not* seeing hyphenation after vowels with
diacritics except in a very few cases.

At first I was expecting identical hyphenation behavior with the
precomposed and decomposed forms, and was surprised that the
decomposed version found more hyphens, while the precomposed version
gave me a bunch of overfull boxes, and only relatively few hyphens.
But then I realized that some difference should be expected, because
of the effect of \lefthyphenmin; with decomposed text and
\lefthyphenmin=2, you can get a hyphen after a single initial vowel
with diacritic.

Here's a little test using a couple of words from your text:

%%%% start of test file

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{book}
\usepackage{fontspec}

\setromanfont[Script=Greek]{Galatia SIL}
\language=\greek

\title{}
\author{}
\date{}

\begin{document}

% force hyphenation
\sloppy \lefthyphenmin=1 \righthyphenmin=1 \hsize=1pt

\hskip0pt νεμοντες % no diacritic

\hskip0pt νέμοντες % precomposed

\hskip0pt νέμοντες % decomposed

\hskip0pt ειδον % no diacritic

\hskip0pt εἶδον % precomposed

\hskip0pt εἶδον % decomposed

\end{document}

%%%% end

A clipping showing the result is attached. Note that with the first
word, I get a hyphen after the first epsilon in all cases
(unaccented, precomposed with acute, or with separate acute
diacritic). But with the second word, the hyphen after iota is
lacking in the precomposed case.