[XeTeX] Embarrassing fontspec

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jan 4 10:35:12 CET 2006

On 4 Jan 2006, at 8:35 am, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Will Robertson wrote:
>
> not using it, i have no clue what goes on in fontspec, but
>

>> Looking at tracing an hbox when this craziness is going on
>> demonstrates what's going on more clearly: (the \hbox is -4055pt
>> wide?!?)
>>
>> > \box0=
>> \hbox(7.21+2.79)x-4055.02191
>> .\U/Hoefler Text (0)/m/n/10 test
>> .\glue *
>> .\U/Hoefler Text (0)/m/n/10 words
>>
> what is this "glue *" doing there (maybe jonathan knows when the *
> is issued)

Looking in TeX: The Program, I see that this "*" comes from the
print_spec procedure in module 178, and it looks like it can only
appear if the glue specification has somehow become corrupted. This
supports my feeling that we're seeing a XeTeX bug that shows up under
conditions of extreme memory and/or font resource usage.