[XeTeX] \typeout command not recognized ?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Feb 24 11:20:49 CET 2006

Le 24 févr. 06 à 09:58, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> No; \typeout is a LaTeX macro, and that's why it causes a problem
> here.

Of course you're right. That's what happens when one (me) answers
without having a copy of the TeXbook at hand.

latex.ltx defines:

	\def\typeout{\immediate\write17}

and this is missing from miniltx.tex which contains only:

	\def\@warning{\immediate\write16}

By the way, do you know where one can find the significance of these
stream numbers (again I don't have the TeXbook at hand right now)?
plain.tex seems to indicate -1 is the log file:

	\def\wlog{\immediate\write\m at ne} % write on log file (only)

and latex.ltx that 15 is texsys.aux:

	\immediate\openout15=texsys.aux
	\immediate\write15{\today^^J}
	\immediate\closeout15 %