[XeTeX] xunicode for maths

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Feb 17 08:56:46 CET 2006

On 17 Feb 2006, at 4:18 am, Will Robertson wrote:

> One thing that occurs to me in accessing these plane 1 maths
> characters is that on first impressions, it seems \XeTeXcharglyph
> can't be used to see if they exist...I don't know if that's
> something that we want to investigate, though, because it would be
> costly in terms of performance. Any thoughts?

You're right, that won't work. \XeTeXcharglyph takes a "character
code" in XeTeX terms and looks it up in the font. But these codes are
really UTF-16 code units, not full Unicode characters once we're
outside Plane 0. And it's not meaningful to look up single surrogate
values, of course.

Maybe I should extend \char so as to directly handle values up to
"10FFFF, generating a pair of nodes when necessary, and similarly
extend \XeTeXcharglyph to handle the same range. I was wondering this
just the other day.