[XeTeX] Meet the system...

Martin Henning martin at easy2design.de
Thu Feb 16 12:37:55 CET 2006

Hello,

now that I apparently didn't understand the SYSTEM of the XeTeX/LaTeX/
unicode magic in general, I googled a little with my nice console
browser and didn't really find a kind of summery of what is actually
going on on my computer when i hit ⌘T. Does anyone have something
like a flowchart where I could see how things like xunicode/fontspec/
xelatex/... work together? All I see, is that I am using only one
font which includes all I need :-) I guess something like this would
also be a good point for the XeTeX website, because judging by my own
experiences, most users don't even understand where the problem with
using unicode is in the first place - jusst "better" font and that's
it :D Why are math-fonts especially a problem etc... I am one of the
lucky Mac users out there, so I don't even have to worry why XeTeX
work for me, it just works - talking to other students, I noticed a
great demand for information on why and how XeTeX does not exist for
e.g. x86 linux - the explanation "because os x has better font
handling" always leads a little war on "my os is better than yours" :/

I know that there is information about every little piece I
mentioned, but what I need is the broad picture. Who is talking to
whom and why - if I manage to understand it, I would volunteer to
convert it into something that could eventually go into some XeTeX
documentation/faq/somehingelse - preferably something with boxes and
arrows :)))

Thanks to the list for the extended support program concerning my
problems!

.martin

--
Martin Henning