[XeTeX] again russian, german, english...

Martin Henning martin at easy2design.de
Thu Feb 16 10:32:05 CET 2006

HiJo,

On Feb 16, 2006, at 11:52 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> With your usual user name, it should work, unless you deselected
> "CLI [command-line interface] Activation" when installing the TeX i-
> Package, I believe. (Does latex work from the command line in
> Terminal? If so, then kpsewhich should also work--if it doesn't,
> then something is broken.)

yes... $PATH was 'broken' - fixed thanks to bruno...

> The one from /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local.... is what xetex
> will have used when building the xelatex format. Could you send me
> a copy of this, so I can try to reproduce your environment and see
> where that strange hyphenation is coming from?

most certainly! see attachment... it's this one:

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/config/language.dat

> If you need English, German, and Russian, but not "exotic" extended-
> Latin letters or strange combinations of diacritics, then many
> TrueType/OpenType Unicode fonts should work, provided they cover
> both Latin and Cyrillic. (You could even try Times Roman--not a CM-
> like look, but at least it'd be very "conventional".)

i will experiment some more when the actual work is finished... for
now everything looks ok and my professor didn't complain... he
doesn't even know what kind of funny stuff i am using here -
especially on a mac!

>> oh don't tell me there is a \makefontlighter{2342} option :D
>
> No, you're obviously confused... the parameter should be 0x4232. :)

so true... hex values... you are directly setting the font-registers
in the font-processor, right? who would have thought that TeX is so
close to ASM :D

.m.