[XeTeX] again russian, german, english...

Martin Henning martin at easy2design.de
Thu Feb 16 07:15:57 CET 2006

Good Morning,

On Feb 15, 2006, at 5:24 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> How very medieval! :)

yesterday i couldn't answer anymore, because i was unable to send a
single bit into the world... sorry

> Just meaning that adding "\hskip0pt\relax" after the slash in
> optional/alternative words would allow hyphenation of the second
> word, otherwise not attempted by TeX.

ahhhhh yes. so simple! :P i will keep it in mind in case i ran into a
problem like that. it seems to me using \selectlanguage is very odd -
just as all of babel. sometimes a have the feeling, that it behaves
differently when called from within an itemize environment... now i
put them in a way, that everything looks fine. strange.

> I see the bad art-icle in your PDF, but when I re-run the sample
> here, I get "arti-cle" instead! Very odd. Apparently something
> about my configuration is different from yours. Could I see your
> language.dat file (as located by "kpsewhich language.dat") to see
> if I can reproduce the problem you're having?

unfortunately our command doesn't work for me? maybe i should have
done it differently? i did it on the console, even as root. "Command
not found." used locate, though, and i have about 5 language.dat
files - which one do you need?

/opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/
rsync.rsync.opendarwin.org_dpupdate_dports/print/teTeX/files/patch-
language.dat
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/tex/generic/config/language.dat
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/config/language.dat
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/config/language.dat
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/lambda/config/language.dat
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/platex/config/language.dat

i looked into every one of them, and in none of them the english
stuff seems to be disabled - at least not the american part. does it
mean, that americans behave so strange and i should rather uncomment
the british version?! :))

> So -5pt is just enough to avoid \lineskip kicking in (because of
> the ascent/descent of Charis) with running text, but when you have
> a raised figure, that exceeds the threshold, and again
> \baselineskip is abandoned in favor of \lineskip.
>
> Solution is to make \lineskiplimit slightly larger (err... more
> negative, I mean). Seems like -6pt is enough for this sample, at
> least.

ok, sounds like i should have understood that myself :)
\lineskiplimit--;  -6 indeed does the trick. now i am tempted to try
different fonts it seems to me (sorry), but charis sil is quit
"heavy" so to speak. maybe i can find one that comes closer to the
lightweight appearance of THE standard, original font. oh don't tell
me there is a \makefontlighter{2342} option :D

and again...

.martin

--
Martin Henning