[XeTeX] again russian, german, english...

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Feb 15 15:24:46 CET 2006

On 15 Feb 2006, at 12:53 pm, Martin Henning wrote:

> hi Jonathan, finally some sort of internet again - 300B/s but
> better than nothing *g*

How very medieval! :)

>> In your example last week, I saw some instances of long words
>> separated by slashes, e.g, современные/
>> передовые. Note that the slash here will (by default)
>> inhibit hyphenation. You might want to use LaTeX's \slash instead
>> (which permits a line-break after the slash); or if you want to
>> allow hyphenation of the words each side of the slash, then you
>> need to introduce some (zero-width) glue.
>
> This was just for me - just didn't know, yet, which word i was
> going to use. The zero-width glue thing is unfortunately as far
> away as chinese for me :')

Just meaning that adding "\hskip0pt\relax" after the slash in
optional/alternative words would allow hyphenation of the second
word, otherwise not attempted by TeX.

>>> English hyphenation doesn't seem to function at all, because i
>>> found (among right things...) stuff like "art-icle", which for my
>>> understanding is wrong.
>>
>> Yes, that seems odd. Can you provide a sample file that
>> demonstrates such errors?
>
> yep. trying to upload it :)

I see the bad art-icle in your PDF, but when I re-run the sample
here, I get "arti-cle" instead! Very odd. Apparently something about
my configuration is different from yours. Could I see your
language.dat file (as located by "kpsewhich language.dat") to see if
I can reproduce the problem you're having?

>> The rules for \baselineskip, \lineskip, and \lineskiplimit are a
>> little tricky. With a sufficiently negative \lineskiplimit, you'll
>> get lines spaced according to \baselineskip all the time (which
>> your LaTeX class will set up according to its wishes). With
>> OpenType/TrueType fonts in XeTeX, and without a negative
>> \lineskiplimit, you'll often find you're actually setting the
>> lines "solid" (according to the font metrics, which are usually
>> larger than the actual glyph sizes), and the \baselineskip that
>> LaTeX wanted to set is effectively being ignored.
>
> ok, so with -5 a get nice line spacing - as long i don't have
> superscripted figures etc. as soon as the index of a footnote
> appears, the whole line jumps down back to huge spacing :) that
> is... hmm... bad :)
> i'll try to include that in the example file, too!

So -5pt is just enough to avoid \lineskip kicking in (because of the
ascent/descent of Charis) with running text, but when you have a
raised figure, that exceeds the threshold, and again \baselineskip is
abandoned in favor of \lineskip.

Solution is to make \lineskiplimit slightly larger (err... more
negative, I mean). Seems like -6pt is enough for this sample, at least.