[XeTeX] fontspec 1.9 released

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Tue Feb 14 02:44:05 CET 2006

Hello,

I have a release version of fontspec 1.9 ready. It may be retrieved from
CTAN as soon as it has been processed by their wonderful maintainers.
(Hopefully there aren't any bugs...)

It's been a while since the last release; lots of new features have
been implemented. As always, a small amount of new stuff breaks
backwards
compatibility; I very sorry if this effects you.

Here is the list of changes; it may not be comprehensive, but it should
cover most of it.

New font selection features:
  - SmallCapsFont/SmallCapsFeatures specification
  - UprightFeatures specification
  - Abbreviated supplementary font selection
  - Slanted shape now defined as a substitution of the italic shape
    (\textsl will now behave like \textit, but it's not recommended)

New font features:
  - Font autoscaling
  - WordSpace
  - PunctuationSpace
  - HyphenChar
  - Renderer
  - Rotation of AAT glyphs for vertical typesetting
  - Kerning

Assorted new things:
  - Warnings are given when a font feature is requested that doesn't
    exist in the current font
  - Other assorted information is written to the console output and
log file
  - Nested emphasis is fixed; also provides \eminnershape (see
fixltx2e.sty)
  - Configuration file fontspec.cfg loaded if found.
  - \fontspec and \addfontfeatures are now "space invisible";
    they gobble proceeding space like a macro without an argument.

Font feature details:
  - Font features and options can be renamed (or "aliased")
  - Better new font feature commands incorporate error checking
  - Better new opentype script/language options incorporate error
checking

Please report troubles and suggestions to me via this mailing list.
If you use fontspec for anything significant, please let me know:
I'd love to hear how my package is being used!

Regards,
Will Robertson