[XeTeX] again russian, german, english...

Martin Henning martin at easy2design.de
Fri Feb 10 15:48:41 CET 2006

On Feb 10, 2006, at 11:46 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> 1. The \documentclass{...} line is missing from your sample, so I
> ran it as "article", but a couple of the commands aren't defined
> there. So we may not be seeing exactly what you're seeing -- but
> the general problems will be the same, so it's not a big deal.

yes, sorry. article is ok, too, since the problems are probably not
related to the class. i am using \documentclass{scrartcl} though,
which is part of the KOMA package.

> 2. The German and English are not appearing in the fontspec font,
> but defaulting to CM. This is probably a case of Babel overriding
> the encoding/font choices that fontspec tries to make. And that's
> why the umlauts disappear--you end up trying to print Unicode
> umlauted characters using a CM font that doesn't support those
> codes. I recall we tricked Babel for Russian by defining
> \cyrillicencoding, but am not sure yet how to make it keep its
> hands off the Latin-script text as well.

right, the encoding workaround was for russian :) i was thinking
about redefining the commands for language selection - maybe to
include new encoding directives every time you change the language?
though the babel-package also automatically redefines all the things
like "contents" etc... :/

> 3. To get "close" line spacing with Charis SIL, you need to add
> something like
> 	\setlength{\lineskiplimit}{-4pt}
> to the preamble, as Charis SIL has very large ascent/descent values
> in the font (to allow space for tall/deep characters and stacked
> diacritics).

hm. doesn't work for me? i put it after the font-definitions...
nothing happens at all....

> 4. By the PDF-Menu, you mean bookmarks? I don't think you can get
> non-ASCII characters in there with XeTeX at the moment, because of
> limitations in the Perl script that xdv2pdf uses to add the
> bookmarks. In theory, someone with deep enough PDF knowledge (not
> me!) might be able to add Unicode support there, but I'm expecting
> to roll out a better solution sometime fairly soon....

yes exactly. so i will try to generate the document without bookmarks
at all for now, since fairly soon will probably not be soon enough
for my special case *g* thank you for your effort, i really
appreciate it!!

thanx again,

martin.

p.s.: this was probably my last email until monday... we will see
what i have worked out over the weekend - maybe you will have found
some solution, too. i will try to play with \renewcommand
{\selectlanguge} or so... :)

--
Martin Henning
martin at easy2design.de