[XeTeX] Unicode visible space

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Feb 9 12:47:17 CET 2006

To Unicode experts here: do you know what's the best Unicode
equivalent to a visible space (the standard symbol for describing a
space, \textvisiblespace in LaTeX parlance and \tt\char"20 in plain
TeX parlance)?

Using xunicode.sty as a reference, the Open Box character at Unicode
slot 2423 is used as visible space. Browsing through Apple's
Character Palette (before I thought of using xunicode.sty, and save
myself some time by doing so), a seemingly looking, but a bit wider,
character is the Modified Letter Shelf at slot 02FD.

Does anyone know what's the best alternative? As I don't really
understand the meaning of the blocks these symbols belong to, I'm
unsure which one to pick up. (I have to admit, I wasn't looking for
this when using XeTeX, but rather when writing a memo in Pages with
Gill Sans as the main font.)

Sadly, among the various OS X fonts, only Lucida Grande seems to have
either, while Apple Symbols doesn't.

Bruno Voisin