[XeTeX] Trouble with XeLaTeX and Jurabib

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Feb 6 00:37:02 CET 2006

On 5 Feb 2006, at 10:52 pm, Stuart Robertson wrote:

> I'm trying to typeset an article with XeLaTeX and Jurabib and have
> run into a problem with errant quotation marks. In the example
> below the first single quotation that prefaces the article title
> remains the usual TeX Grave or  ` mark rather than becoming a
> single opening quote or ‘.

Xe(La)TeX is faithfully reproducing the characters it is given to
print; but your bibliography style uses `...' around titles, on the
assumption that the font used will have the proper quotation marks in
place of these characters. Traditional TeX fonts do, but Unicode
fonts don't.

To handle this, you can use the "Mapping=tex-text" option when
TeX-style quotes with the proper Unicode characters, as well as
dealing with "the TeX way" of typing en- and em-dashes and a few
other things.

Either add a \defaultfontfeatures command:

	\usepackage{fontspec}
	\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
	\setromanfont[Ligatures={Common}, Numbers={OldStyle}]{Hoefler Text}

or apply this specifically to the fonts you're using for text where
you want to have the replacements happen:

	\usepackage{fontspec}
	\setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text, Ligatures={Common}, Numbers=
{OldStyle}]{Hoefler Text}

HTH,