[XeTeX] Linux setup question (follow up)

Dennis Drescher dennis_drescher at sil.org
Fri Dec 22 03:04:28 CET 2006

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> This is the way to learn how to *not* do it.
>
> First step is to learn the utility fmtutil, or fmtutil-sys. Then
> you'll learn how to enable a format. Finally you'll learn how to use
> it to create a format in the right place.

Dear Peter,

So much TeX and so little time. ;-)

The pragmatic way is often the way not to do things I guess. So I took a
look at fmtutil and fmtutil-sys using the --help command. Still being
very much a novice user, the nearest I could figure is that I needed to
run "fmtutil" and "sudo fmtutil-sys" to create my .fmt files in their
proper place, which seems to be /home/dennis/.texmf-var/web2c and
/var/lib/texmf/web2c.

Both of these utilities did create a bunch of .fmt files in both these
locations. However, they did *not* create the xetex.fmt file which is
what I really need. So, my question at this point is, how do I get a
xetex.fmt file, in the right place, the right way?

Regards,

Dennis