[XeTeX] could not build in Debian linux!

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Dec 15 00:35:07 CET 2006

On 14 Dec 2006, at 10:30 pm, Kia Teymourian wrote:

> hi,
> i followed the instructions for installing the XeTeX on Linux and
> wanted
> to build it for my debian system.  I installed also all the necessary
> packages and started the  "sh build-xetex", which broke with this
> massage:
>
> In file included from
> ../../../texk/web2c/xetexdir/XeTeXLayoutInterface.h:36,
>                  from ../../../texk/web2c/xetexdir/XeTeX_ext.c:68:
> ../../../texk/web2c/xetexdir/XeTeXFontMgr.h:40:35: error:
> fontconfig/fontconfig.h: No such file or directory

This indicates that the header files for Fontconfig were not found.
Did you install a fontconfig-devel package (or some similar name; I
don't know exactly what the Debian packages are called)? It is *not*
sufficient to have the library installed; you also need the
development files.

Note that the TeX Live 2006 release, which should be finalized very
soon now, will include pre-built xetex binaries for many platforms,
including Linux on several architectures, so this may be an
alternative to building your own. But it should be possible to
compile from source without too much difficulty, you just need to
ensure the necessary libraries *and headers* are available.