[XeTeX] XeLatex and Math Fonts on OS X

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Dec 11 19:58:44 CET 2006

On 11 Dec 2006, at 5:35 pm, Saptarshi Guha wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I'm trying to use other math fonts apart from CM, e.g
> fourier,fouriernrc etc.
> 	However during compilation, i generally get the following error
>
> 	*** font futsy not found in psfonts.map or host system; will
> substitute Helvetica glyphs
>
> *** font futmii not found in psfonts.map or host system; will
> substitute Helvetica glyphs
>
> *** font futmii not found in psfonts.map or host system; will
> substitute Helvetica glyphs
>
> *** font futsy not found in psfonts.map or host system; will
> substitute Helvetica glyphs
> )
>
> 	I compiling from TeXshop using XeLaTeX.
>
> 	However this font does work with Latex. Does this mean i can't use
> anything but CM and Euler (vis a vis math fonts) with XeLaTeX?

Most other math fonts depend on the "virtual font" mechanism, which
is not supported by the xdv2pdf output driver.

However, if you use the xdvipdfmx driver instead, they should work.
To do this, you need to call xetex with the argument

     -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E"

on its command line.

Make a copy of the file XeLaTeX.engine (in ~/Library/TeXShop/
Engines), calling it "XeLaTeX-x.engine" or something like that. Then
open the file with a text editor, and modify the line

     xelatex  -shell-escape "$1"

to read

     xelatex  -shell-escape -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E" "$1"

and save the file. Then restart TeXShop and try the XeLaTeX-x engine
instead of XeLaTeX.