[XeTeX] Farsi/Arabic

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Sun Dec 3 17:07:01 CET 2006

Loeghmon T. Nejad schrieb am 03.12.2006 16:53:

> Christoph,
>
> (OOPS!) Now I remember, I archived the instructions you sent me once,
> but I could no longer locate it when I restarted to experiment with
> Xetex recently. I make sure I visit xetex archives and read your post.
> Sorry about that.

Don't worry about that. Here are the instructions again:

You need the sources because the debs for Ubuntu don't work with
Debian Sarge. The sources contain the files you need to build your
own debs.

http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xetex/TAGS/xetex-0.995.tar.gz
http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xdvipdfmx/TAGS/xdvipdfmx-0.3.tar.gz

Unpack the sources and change to the new directory.

xdvipdfmx:

$ cd xdvipdfmx [or whatever it is called]
$ chmod +x debian/rules
$ chmod +x configure
$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us
$ cd ..
$ su
[Maybe you need to remove dvipdfmx: # aptitude remove dvipdfmx]
# dpkg -i xdvipdfmx_0.3-1_i386.deb

XeTeX:

$ cd xetex [or whatever it is called]
$ chmod +x debian/rules
$ chmod +x configure
$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us
% cd ..
$ su
# emacs -nw /etc/texmf/language.d/10tetex.cnf
-> comment "magyar" and "serbian"
# update-language
# emacs -nw /etc/texmf/texmf.d/45TeXinputs.cnf
-> change
% XeTeX
TEXINPUTS.xelatex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.xetex   = .;$TEXMF/tex/{plain,generic,}//
% XeTeX
TEXINPUTS.xelatex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{xelatex,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.xetex   = .;$TEXMF/tex/{xetex,plain,generic,}//
# update-texmf
# dpkg -i xetex_0.995-1_i386.deb

> The reason I started with Etch and not Sarge, was its reputation as a
> stable enough release!

This is quite OT: There are no security updates for the testing tree
of Debian! So one should really know what he's doing when using
testing or even unstable. If you need/want recent software packages
and Debian's brilliant package management think about Ubuntu. It's
my girl friend's choice for her desktop and she loves it and it's my
choice for my laptop. But I don't love it that much that it can
replace Sarge on my desktop.

> Thanks again.

Welcome!

Best regards,