[XeTeX] transliterated sanskrit/hindi

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Tue Aug 29 18:57:02 CEST 2006

Hello Alexander.

Le 29 août 06 à 16:58, Alexander Giebler a écrit :

> With XeTeX I will generate a  transliterated sanskrit document -which
> is similar to hindi. has anybody experiences in doing this?  by the
> way: normaly i generate my transliterated documents with the sanskrit
> package with MikTeX on a windows platform. now i had to do this on a
> macbook with mac os tiger - on windows i had to  run first  the
> preprocessor skt.c over the document to generate the tex-file but
> this does´nt work on the mac Terminal. What do I wrong?

With MikTeX a precompiled version of the preprocessor is installed
(in a directory named Commands or something like that), precompiled
because Windows doesn't include any C compiler. You can't run skt.c
itself on a Mac (nor on any platform) because it's source code; you
have to compile it, executing:

gcc -o skt skt.c

Then you must put the binary skt in a directory where the system can
find it. But first you have to install Developper Tools, since gcc
isn't included in the standard installation.

This would be for standard TeX; with XeTeX you don't need Wikner's
package. Just input Unicode characters directly, like this:

āsīd rājā Nalo nāma

You only need to use a suitable font. Lucida Grande can do, but some
diacritics are not correctly placed (besides it has no italics). The
best font I know of, for transliterated Sanskrit and other languages
of course, is Charis SIL:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?
site_id=nrsi&item_id=CharisSILfont

Once you have downloaded Charis you might want to try and compile the
following sample: