[XeTeX] segfault with xetex

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Aug 25 13:02:02 CEST 2006

On 25 Aug 2006, at 11:36 am, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> For some strange reason(*), I get segmentation fault when I run
> "xelatex
> --no-pdf file.tex" and \setromanfont has no system font.
>
> (*) Muy guess is that I messed things when I deleted a Type1 font (I
> wanted xelatex to use the TrueType original) with XeLaTeX running. But
> this should not lead to segmentation fault, shouldn't it?

I can imagine that deleting a font *while xetex is running* might
lead to trouble, as it caches font names and paths. Does the problem
keep happening on subsequent runs? Does it persist if you reboot (to
ensure any Fontconfig caches are cleared)?

Of course, any segfault is a bug at some level.... usually because of
some unexpected situation where the code doesn't handle an error
condition properly. So it would be good to identify exactly what's
happening. I'm not sure what you mean by "\setromanfont has no system
font", though. Your document says \setromanfont{Epigraphica}, I
guess; so what Epigraphica fonts are installed, and where?

Something like

   fc-list :family=Epigraphica family style file

should tell you what Fontconfig thinks is installed; does that show
the files you expect?