[XeTeX] xdvipdfm and Omega dvi files

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Aug 23 20:27:02 CEST 2006

On 23 Aug 2006, at 4:15 pm, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> Trying to use xdvipdfmx 0.3 with an Omega generated dvi file, gives me
> the following error:
>
> xdvipdfmx culturalibre
> culturalibre.dvi -> culturalibre.pdf
> [1otf_load_Unicode_CMap(GenR101, 0)
>
> ** ERROR ** Could not open TrueType font file "GenR101"
>
> Output file removed.
>
> As far as I can remember, it worked fine with version 0.1.
>
> GenR101 is a TrueType font and has a .ttf extension (just in case
> it helps).

Uh oh -- sorry, you've run into an unfinished fragment of the
program. :(

The font-reading code has undergone some significant changes since
0.1, and not everything is 100% done or tested. As I don't use .ttf
fonts via Omega (or standard TeX) myself, I hadn't run into this
particular situation, but it is a case where I know the support is
incomplete; there's a "FIXME" comment in the code right there!

Probably the simplest solution is just to use a different driver,
such as dvipdfmx, for your Omega .dvi files; after all, there's no
reason (that I can think of) to use xdvipdfmx except with xetex
output. In theory, xdvipdfmx is supposed to be an upward-compatible
replacement for dvipdfmx (or eventually be merged with it), but
obviously there may be problems (such as this) while it is undergoing
internal changes.