[XeTeX] Newbie troubles with XeTeX for Linux

Steven Shaviro shaviro at shaviro.com
Wed Aug 23 16:59:20 CEST 2006

I have installed the latest XeTeX binaries for Ubuntu Linux, and I
ran sudo texhash after doing so, but I have been unable to get them
to run. I have an up-to-date TeXLive installation of LaTeX.

(XeTeX runs fine on my Mac OS X machine; but I know much less about
the intricacies of Linux).

When I run xetex from the command line, I get the following:

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt xetex.fmt
fmutil: no info for format 'xetex'.
I can't find the format file `xetex.fmt'!

When I run xelatex, I get:

bash: xelatex: command not found.

I presume all this means that the necessary command files are not
being found; but besides 'sudo texhash' I don't know what to do to
correct the situation.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Steven Shaviro shaviro at shaviro.com
http://www.shaviro.com