[XeTeX] XeTeX: ready for full-time math?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Aug 23 11:20:05 CEST 2006

On 23 Aug 2006, at 8:44 am, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hi Yves,
>
> On 23/08/2006, at 5:24 PM, Yves Codet wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> Le 22 août 06 à 13:18, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>>
>>> see the Fraktur W as I entered it. (There aren't many such fonts
>>> around, though! James Kass's "Code2001" is one that's available, if
>>> interested.)
>>
>> About Code2001, when I tried and installed it on Mac OS X 10.4.7 I
>> got frightening warnings, saying that if I installed that font the
>> system might be unable to run; so I gave up.

I've never seen this; maybe because I usually install fonts directly
with the Finder, rather than via FontBook?

Anyhow, it's never given me any trouble. YMMV.

>> I suppose it's because
>> it includes scripts which haven't been officially approved yet. When
>> I installed it on OS X 10.3 I got no such warnings and the system
>> survived. Can it be safely installed on 10.4, despite those warnings?
>
> I've had it installed for a couple of years now,
> under 10.3 and 10.4
>
> Just 2 days ago, I upgraded to the latest available.
> Just sudo-copied it into   /System/Library/Fonts/

I wouldn't recommend that.... /System belongs to the system. The
regular /Library/Fonts is the appropriate place. (Or ~/Library/Fonts
if only for a single user, of course.)

> The only hassles that I had were wrong characters being shown.
> But these went away after a reboot, presumably after font-caches
> were rebuilt.

That may have been because you're not expected to be putting stuff
into /System/Library/Fonts like that. If you simply drop the file
into /Library/Fonts, no reboot should be needed.