[XeTeX] Using legacy Type1 fonts in XeTeX

Jjgod Jiang gzjjgod at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 14:33:08 CEST 2006

Hi,

I've been trying to use some Type1 fonts directly via XeTeX,
but it's seems XeTeX does not support all the features of it,
I would like to know:

1. Does XeTeX supports replace ligatures automatically?
for example, if I have a font which does have "fi" or "ffi" glyph,
and the following macro works fine:

\def\getglyph#1{\count255=\XeTeXglyphindex "#1"%
  \ifnum\count255>0 \XeTeXglyph\count255 \else [#1]\fi}
  \font\A='[SabonNextLT-Regular]' \A

\getglyph{fi}

(yep, I'm using Linotype Sabon Next for testing, SabonNextLT-Regular.pfb
and SabonNextLT-Regular.afm is in the current directory)

But writing "fi" literally does not have ligature effect.

2. Does XeTeX supports the binary metrics format (.pfm)? or may be
it's depend on FreeType?

Regards,
Jjgod.