[XeTeX] XeTeX: ready for full-time math?

Michael Zedler michael.zedler at tum.de
Fri Aug 18 03:55:08 CEST 2006

>> How about MnSymbol (http://www.hft.ei.tum.de/mz/MnSymbol.pdf), it has
>> > some 1350 glyphs per font in two weights and seven optical sizes?
>
> Yikes, somehow I missed the OpenType release of this font.
> Actually, know that I know about it, I'll probably using it for all
> of my testing (perhaps until STIX is released) so I'll be sure to
> keep you informed of my progress.

You haven't missed the release of the new version of MnSymbol, it's not
out yet ;-)
Where release mainly refers to mf/pfb, if the otf make it onto CTAN
depends on if the otf specific stuff is working as expected. For
example, using 'normal' applications on XP or Mac I get decent line
spacing, as opposed to Illustrator (Mac) where the inter-line spacing is
too large -- I don't have the slightest clue what causes this. How's
XeTeX's behaviour?
So it really depends on the feedback I get bringing the otf features to
maturity and hence worth putting the otf on CTAN in the next round up.

Will, if you need the other otf for testing (e.g. testing the usage of
the 'size' feature), just let me know.

Best,
Michael

PS: For the font gurus, the AFDKO related files are on
http://cvs.berlios.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/minionpro/MnSymbol/scripts/
I'm particularly clueless about the 'style linking' stuff and how the
'subfamily' tag in FontMenuNameDB ought to be set...

PPS: If somebody want to test the new MnSymbol with common LaTeX, just
grab the current version of MnSymbol via CVS from
http://developer.berlios.de/cvs/?group_id=2184 and install the pfb from
http://www.hft.ei.tum.de/mz/MnSymbol.zip.