[XeTeX] XeTeX and TeX documentation

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Aug 11 00:44:55 CEST 2006

On 10 Aug 2006, at 8:46 pm, Joshua Grauman wrote:

>>> As a side note, I'd like to be able to change the hyphenation
>>> (correct
>>> terminology?) for my document. I would like xetex to break up words
>>> after
>>> the maqqef and not just wrap by spaces. How would I go about this?
>>
>> One way to achieve this, noting that maqqef is Unicode character U
>> +05BE, would be to make this an "active character" and program it to
>> insert a discretionary break after itself. Something like this:
>>
>>   \catcode"05BE = \active
>>   \def^^^^05be{\char"05BE\discretionary{}{}{}}
>>
>> (The use of uppercase "05BE" and lowercase "05be" here is deliberate
>> and required!)
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> JK
>
> This code does not appear to work for either xetex or xelatex for
> me (Ie I
> don't think it changes the output at all)... Am I missing something?

It should allow breaks after maqqef -- but you'll only see a change
if there happens to be a case where such a break can improve the
setting of a paragraph, so it depends on the precise text/size/etc.
With a bit of experimentation, I found a setting where you can see
the effect; try the attached example, which sets the same text twice,
with and without this feature. In the second version, you should get
a break after maqqef on the second line.