[XeTeX] OT?: Interesting? post about LuaTeX on usenet:comp.text.tex

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Aug 10 20:09:37 CEST 2006

On Aug 10, 2006, at 12:34 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> the lua stuff is actually fun, but we mostly play

Glad to hear it....

> with interfacing tests; the basic idea is to gave callbacks at
> every important stage in the tex process/engine; also, the tex
> language will still be there, after all, it's not that bad -)

Yeah, but I had a task the other day which LuaTeX (or probably
perlTeX --- really do need to look into that) would've been ideal
(maybe?), take ~7,000 single page .pdfs and get them printed _with
their filenames_ on the same page.

Ultimately I just copied all of the filenames in the Finder and
pasted them into a spreadsheet, did a global search-replace to
normalize the filenames (drat those spaces and underscores), pasted
in the original filenames as a reference, use FileWrangler to make
duplicates of the files match the normalized naming and then exported
the spreadsheet to use it as the basis of TeX documents which when
compiled were used to print things --- may've been better in the long
run since I was able to control inclusion and take advantage of Mac
OS X's nice, natural filename sorting order.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.