[XeTeX] OT?: Interesting? post about LuaTeX on usenet:comp.text.tex

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 18:22:57 CEST 2006

On 11/08/2006, at 1:33 , Jonathan Kew wrote:

> But in another sense, there are only two (not three) "platforms"
> currently targeted by XeTeX: one that uses Apple Type Services to
> access fonts, and one that uses Fontconfig.

I'd guess it's this latter that they're leery of using. Or perhaps
they really haven't looked that closely at the Linux release
(although that would surprise me) and were frightened off by all of
the mention of Mac OS X frameworks around the earlier releases.

> Oh, and XeTeX uses the same OpenType layout code (from ICU) on all
> platforms.

I don't think there's anything to be gained from completely re-
implementing OpenType support from scratch. Well, no point preaching
to the converted :)

Do you mind if I ask if there is or has been much communication
between you all? How active is the tex-implementors mailing list?

Will