[XeTeX] Installing XeTeX on Slackware 10.2

Joshua Grauman jnfo at grauman.com
Wed Aug 9 21:30:17 CEST 2006

Here is a quick summary of what I did to install XeTeX on my Slackware
10.2 box if it is helpful to anyone... I may be missing something, but at
least it's a start.

1) Remove all traces of TeX if it is already installed (it was in
/usr/share/tex..., and remove TeX from the PATH)

2) Upgrade fontconfig. I downloaded from source and recompiled. The hard
part was finding all the old libraries and binaries and replacing them.
May need to run ldconfig.

3) Install teTeX 3.0 from source. I followed the Quick Install which
worked great.

4) Download and install xdvipdfmx. I installed in /usr/local. You will
need to *move* the binary from /usr/local/bin to
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu

5) Download and install XeTeX from source. I installed version 0.994a.

6) Upgrade xkeyval. You could do this by changing the TeX paths, but since
I didn't want to mess with the paths, I just deleted everything in:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/xkeyval AND
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xkeyval

A new version of xkeyval in included with XeTeX in:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/tex/xelatex/xkeyval

7) Comment out hyphenation patterns that don't work with XeTeX, ie
Hungarian, Serbian, maybe another or two. Do this in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/config/language.dat

I think that was it...

Josh