[XeTeX] xelatex not working

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Aug 8 20:58:34 CEST 2006

On 8 Aug 2006, at 7:19 pm, Joshua Grauman wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is a xetex problem or a latex problem, but if
> anyone
> could point me in the direction to get xelatex working I would
> appreciate
> it. The xetex command is working, but when I try xelatex I get errors.
>
> Here is the relevant part from the log (minus a few non-printable
> characters after the .ad):
>
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyphen/huhyphn.tex
> Huhyphn - hungarian hyphenation patterns v20031107
> ! Nonletter.
> l.33 .ad
> ?
> ! Emergency stop.
> l.33 .ad
> End of file on the terminal!
>

> I don't need hungarian, but deleting the file just makes it bomb
> saying
> that it needs it...

This is an incompatibility between the hungarian hyphenation patterns
and xetex (because the patterns are in a non-Unicode 8-bit encoding).

You can work around it by disabling Hungarian hyphenation in
language.dat (e.g., using texconfig, or manually); or you can create
an empty file named huhyphn.tex in the current directory, so that
this is read instead of the real patterns file during the creation of
the xelatex format.

You'll probably have the same problem with a couple of other
languages, once you get past this one; the same workarounds apply.

I hope that by the time texlive2006 is ready, we'll have a better-
organized setup for all this!