[XeTeX] XeTeX Win32 PDF file output error

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Aug 6 13:43:33 CEST 2006

On 6 Aug 2006, at 12:21 pm, Maurice Bauhahn wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestion, Jonathan, but so far as I am aware
> there are no spaces in the paths.
>
> The path is: c:\usr\local\jul2006\41Matt.tex

Oh, OK; I thought I saw a space ("41 Matt") in your original
description, but that may have been accidental.

> (1) Is there a problem of capitalization (of c:, for example)? On
> input the path pointing to include files appears to be case
> insensitive.

As far as I know, file/pathnames on windows are not case sensitive,
so I don't think this is an issue.

> (2) Is there a debug mode/logging that can be looked into for the
> pdf generating libraries?

You can try running "xetex -no-pdf .....", so that you get the output
as an .xdv file on disk, and then run xdvipdfmx separately to convert
this to .pdf. This should help establish which part of the process is
failing. (I'm guessing it is xdvipdfmx that fails.)

xdvipdfmx supports a "verbose" mode (try giving it the option -vv) to
generate some extra output while it's running; I don't know if that
will give any additional clues. Or if it crashes with a segfault or
illegal instruction or something, does Windows offer to show any
debug information/traceback/etc, maybe as part of a crash report?