[XeTeX] what does this imply?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Apr 12 15:04:04 CEST 2006

On Apr 12, 2006, at 5:01 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> If someone wants to follow up, I have a comment. Looking at the
> files included with gwTeX, it seems that the url.sty file installed
> for xetex was simply converted from MacRoman or Latin1 or whatever
> into UTF-8 encoding. This means the modified version works with
> XeTeX, but would fail with standard LaTeX, which would see two
> bytes where it expects a single character. A better solution would
> be to replace the (non-portable) literal 8-bit characters with
> their (portable) ^^xx representations, which all versions of TeX
> can read.
>
> JK

Howdy,

There are actually two copies of url.sty installed with gwtex, one
in .../texmf.gwtex/xetex/latex/url/url.sty, with the UTF-8 conversion
(thanks Gerben --- it makes it just work!) and the usual one in .../
texmf.tetex/tex/latex/url/url.sty used by the standard LaTeX. There
shouldn't be a problem on either side.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest.com)