[XeTeX] what does this imply?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Apr 12 07:17:17 CEST 2006

Hi Tom,

On 12/04/2006, at 12:51 PM, Tom Sgouros wrote:

> Anyway, some things work ok, but the url.sty package (included by
> hyperref.sty which is used by XeTeX-notes.tex) generates this error:
>
>   tomfool at toms-box:06$ xelatex XeTeX-notes.tex
>   This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.99b (Web2C 7.5.3)
>   entering extended mode

>   Implicit mode ON; LaTeX internals redefined
>   (/Users/tomfool/Library/texmf/tex/latex/url.sty
>   ! Undefined control sequence.
>   l.40   \do
>             \~{\lower.45ex\hbox{\m at th$\mathchar126$}}% For tt style
>   ?
>
> The url.sty is up-to-date (version 3.2), though the old one fails,
> too.
> The construct where it fails is a weird little bit of TeX-magic that I
> don't entirely understand:
>
>   \@namedef{Url at OT1encSpecials}{%
>     \do\<8C>{\mathchar"3E }\do\<9C>{\mathchar"1B }\do\<DF>
> {\mathchar"19 }%
>     \do\~{\lower.45ex\hbox{\m at th$\mathchar126$}}% For tt style
>     % lots more to add, but I should later link into inputenc
>     \Url at OTnonTT % more for any but typewriter
>    }

\@namedef  creates a macro definition using its name:

\def\@namedef#1{\expandafter\def\csname #1\endcsname}  %  from
latex.ltx

So I'm surprised that the error occurs on line 40, where TeX should
be just reading the expansion for the macro-definition.
It should not even be expanding \do  at that point.

This makes me think that the error has actually occurred earlier
than this.  Perhaps a line-end has been lost, causing a } to be
missed behind a % .
That could totally change the current mode when line 40 is read.

Since this version of  url.sty  has lots of 8-bit characters
directly in the source, perhaps something has gone wrong with
one of them, or something is unexpectedly active already.

Just speculation, as I still use just version 3.0 .

> As far as I can tell \do is never defined anywhere.  Like I said, I
> don't really understand this, but regular latex does fine with it.
> Does
> this tell any of you what is the matter?  Can anyone tell me what
> is the
> proper procedure for generating the xelatex.fmt file?  (Now that I
> fixed
> language.dat.)

Nothing definite, sorry.
Maybe my comments above help a bit.