[XeTeX] MetaPost with XeTeX

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Tue Apr 11 04:26:22 CEST 2006

On 11/04/2006, at 2:06 , Robert Spence wrote:

> Just two quick questions concerning MetaPost:
>
> 1) Is it possible to get MetaPost to call XeTeX, instead of normal
> TeX, to typeset labels within diagrams using some of the fonts that
> XeTeX can access?

Hmmm...doesn't appear to. I get something like this when I try:

This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.5.3)
(xetex.mpdvitomp: mpx6466.dvi: No such file or directory
mv: rename mpx6466.dvi to mpxerr.dvi: No such file or directory
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/makempx: Command
failed: dvitomp mpxerr.dvi xetex.mpx

> 2) Is it possible to call MetaPost from within XeTeX (using
> something like mfpic.sty or emp.sty)?

In the case of emp, yes, it will work in the same way (haven't used
mfpic but I believe it works the same way). --shell-escape is enabled
by default in TeXShop, whose author is less concerned about malware
TeX files. (I mean, really...)

Cheers,

Will