[XeTeX] xunicode.sty -- pinyin and TIPA shortcuts

Pavel Stranak stranak at ufal.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Sat Apr 8 09:47:53 CEST 2006

I might be wrong, but I always thought that the greatest thing in whole
Unicode use is that if one wants to have "LATIN SMALL LETTER SCRIPT G"
in the output, he types exactly this character (0x0261) in the input
file.

It is exactly the same with pinyin. I use the tex composites because I
don't know how to input real pinyin with Hanin input method quickly,
but I substitute these composites with real characters in the end.
If I wanted ǚ (0x01DA) instead of ǔ (0x01D4) (which I don't, since it
is not really ambiguous), I would just make substitution 's/
Using real unicode characters helps readability of the source as well
as reusability of the text in/from other applications.

Regards,

Pavel Stranak