[XeTeX] Newbie needs help using packages with XeTeX

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Apr 7 16:11:58 CEST 2006

On Apr 7, 2006, at 12:03 AM, Linda Lanz wrote:

> Thanks, Bruno! That really helped immensely. Now my packages are
> working with previous LaTeX documents. A simple fix, it turned out!
>
> Much appreciated,
> Linda L.

Howdy,

One thing to note is that you should either set the default input
encoding (TeXShop->Preferences->Document->Encoding) to UTF-8 Unicode
or Open the documents individually using the Open command or the
input will be assumed to be a default encoding. It's really sad to
see the mess I made of a few files before realizing this; good thing
I had backups.

You can also use a hidden preference for TeXShop so that it will
understand the deprecated style although you should get used to using
the new style since it doesn't interfere with commands understood by
some TeX systems and editors. In Terminal type

defaults write TeXShop UseOldHeadingCommands YES

to get the old (as well as the new) commands recognized by TeXShop.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest.com)