[XeTeX] Fallback Fonts?

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Thu Apr 6 02:00:12 CEST 2006

On 06/04/2006, at 3:51 , Malte Rosenau wrote:

> I think we've already had the this discussion in 2004, but I
> couldn't find a solution in the archive: Is it possible to define a
> fallback font for a specific unicode range in XeTeX?

Unfortunately not.
I once proposed the idea of XeTeX creating some sort of virtual font
that included whichever fonts for whichever characters, but Jonathan
assured me that my reasoning was flawed and the implementation
wouldn't really work. Or something like that.

Anyway, the solution is unfortunately to either use a font that
covers the characters you need, or clutter up your .tex file with
language changing commands. But aren't language specifiers essential
for selecting hyphenation patterns &c?

Will