[XeTeX] Problem solved

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Oct 29 12:05:07 CEST 2005

On 28 Oct 2005, at 4:34 pm, Laurie Field wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> I have installed the latest Tex Live, followed by Xetex once again,
> and everything works swimmingly. Thank you all, especially
> Jonathan, for pinpointing the problem.
>
> On first using xetex, I must remark how slow it is.

It's true that running xetex is a lot slower than running regular tex/
pdftex. A large part of the slowness comes from the Quartz PDF
generation process, as can be demonstrated by running xetex with the
"-no-pdf" option, and xdv2pdf separately.

> It shouldn't matter I guess, since one can use plain tex to test a
> file during the writing process and only at the final stage use
> xetex when proper output is needed. Still, it would be nice to
> speed it up, although if the holdup is in ATSUI then we may need to
> wait for an OS revision before anything changes.

Yes, an OS revision could potentially help. I have filed a bug report
regarding the main bottleneck in CoreGraphics (Quartz), but don't
know if/when this may be improved.

Another possibility is a new back-end that doesn't rely on CG to
create the PDF at all; this will be needed if XeTeX is ever to become
cross-platform, so there are several reasons to consider such a project.