[XeTeX] (no subject)

nachman nachman at oakland.edu
Wed Oct 19 18:35:25 CEST 2005

> Le 19 oct. 05 à 14:11, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>

>> On 19 Oct 2005, at 12:59 pm, nachman wrote:
>>

>>> I seem to have developed a persistent problem:  sometime
>>> typesetting use xelatex produces garbage in the pdf file.
>>> Typesetting the same material again (sometimes several times)
>>> produces the correct result.
>>>
>>> Has anybody seen this problem?  Any ideas?
>>>

>> I'm puzzled why typesetting several times would change the result.
>> But try the just-released 0.98 update, which fixes a serious PDF-
>> generation bug that could definitely produce garbage, and see if
>> that helps.

Since this is a random, generally unduplicatable phenomenon, I'll
have to wait and see.  I have just installed XeTeX 0.98, maybe that
will work.

Related to this weird stuff, many times when copying the pdf output
of typesetting to paste into Keynote, characters get lost or changed
as in Bruno's comment below.

Even further weird:  sometimes characters are lost when opening an
old Keynote presentation with pasted pdf typeset.

> Might be unrelated to XeTeX, and related instead to a PDF rendering
> bug in Tiger: sometimes, when displaying "quickly" a PDF file, or
> printing "quickly" an ASCII document, the output contains
> interchanged glyphs (for example all spaces replaced by ")", """ or
> ";", or numbers replaced by a combination of numbers and punctuation
> signs).
>
> It looks like an encoding problem, as if some glyphs were displaced
> by some units in the encoding table. I've seen this when viewing PDF
> files in Preview or TeXShop, or printing ASCII messages in Mail (in
> this case the problem appears in the printed output).
>
> I'm unsure what triggers this. My impression is that this appears
> when things are done "quickly": when a message is printed as soon
> it's displayed, or a PDF window is selected immediately after its
> content is updated. Which makes me think it's connected with
> Spotlight indexing.
>
> In any case, the factor yielding correct output would not be, with
> XeTeX, a new typeset, but simply updating the PDF view (for example,
> in TeXShop, closing the PDF window then opening it again). Is this
> the case?

See comments above.  I have not tried simply closing the pdf window.
Closing TeXShop and restarting does seem to work.

I would vote for the PDF rendering bug explanation for the reasons
mentioned above but will keep you informed.

Jack Nachman