[XeTeX] xelatex.fmt not found after update

Stefano Franchi s.franchi at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Oct 19 17:46:36 CEST 2005

On Oct 19, 2005, at 3:14 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

>> On 6 Oct 2005, at 6:39 pm, Florian Grammel wrote:
>>
>>> After the recommended update from TL2004 to TL2005 using the i-
>>> installer reinstalling XeTeX didn't work for me.
>>>
>>> TeXShop kept reporting that "xelatex.fmt" couldn't be found. When I
>>> looked for the file, both xetex.fmt and xelatex.fmt were actually
>>> missing from texmf.local/web2c. Also another attempt to install
>>> xetex with the i-installer didn't get them in place, eventhough --
>>> like in the first run -- no errors were reported.
>>>
>>> I got xetex working again by just copying the missing files
>>> manually from a friend's installation.
>>>
>>> Did I make a mistake here or did anybody else have the same problem?
>>
>> I have the same problem, except that I can't figure out out to solve
>> it! The files were created in the local texmf tree and TeXShop
>> couldn't
>> find them. Where should these two files be copied to? I moved them to
>> the global tree (/usr/local/teTeX/share/web2c) but that didn't help. I
>> used Wierda i-Installer, BTW.
>
> We need to make certain this problem does not happen. As far as I know
> it
> can only happen
>
> Do you see any files in personal texmf directories? Please send me the
> output of the following commands (to be run in Terminal)
>
>     ls -lRa ~/Library/texmf
>
>     sudo ls -lRa ~root/Library/texmf

Hi Gerben,

	I am enclosing the output of the first command below as a g'zipped
file---it's too big to append. I do not have a directory
~root/Library/texmf and can't therefore run the second command you
suggested. BTW, the error message I get when trying to run XeTeX (or
XLaTeX) from TeXShop is the following:

This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.94 (Web2C 7.5.3)
---! /Users/stefano/Library/texmf/web2c/xelatex.fmt doesn't match
xetex.pool
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

Best,

Stefano