[XeTeX] XeTeX 1.0 - request for comments

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Oct 18 14:49:47 CEST 2005

Le 18 oct. 05 à 13:25, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> To some extent, I feel that it runs counter to the XeTeX paradigm,
> which is to work with fonts as provided by the font designer,
> making full use of the designer's spacing, positioning, kerning,
> variants, features, etc., rather than treating a font as merely a
> collection of glyph shapes and expecting the typesetting
> application to explicitly control every aspect of glyph choice and
> placement.

Exactly my sentiment as well.

Regarding the irregular baselines which motivated my original message
in this thread: in MacWrite II and Pro you had the option of having
either (i) a fixed baseline (in points, centimeters or inches, say)
or (ii) a variable baseline (in lines, for example single, 1.5 or
double spacing), the variations depending on the glyph content of
each line. In my PhD thesis, for example, which was written using
MacWrite II and Expressionist, I used to set the baselineskip (in
Format > Paragraph) to 20 pt, such that it did not vary given the
text was using a mixture of Helvetica and Symbol.

Would it be possible to implement that sort of alternative in XeTeX,
or is it possible simply by adjusting carefully some plain TeX
parameters? In that case, for paragraphs containing a specially big
glyph it would be possible to return to the standard TeX settings (ie
variable baselines), on a per-paragraph basis.

The problem, of course, would be to move, in this way, further away
from TeX, pdfTeX and Omega, which is not necessarily a good thing in
itself.

Bruno