[XeTeX] XeTeX 1.0 - request for comments

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Mon Oct 17 12:08:49 CEST 2005

On Oct 17, 2005, at 5:25 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 17 Oct 2005, at 10:17 am, Stephen Moye wrote:
>

>> 15/10/2005, 6am - Jonathan Kew wrote:
>>

>>> f. Proper individual character metrics when using native OS X
>>> fonts. This is harder than it sounds, as TeX wants to know
>>> height, depth, and italic correction for each character, and this
>>> information is not present in fonts, only in .tfm's. And it can't
>>> be derived accurately from the glyph outlines, either.
>>>

>> I am loathe to be tedious, as Bruno Voisin and Will Robertson have
>> already commented on this, and I have had an earlier email
>> exchange on this same topic. Still, for the record...
>>

> No need to be apologetic; I asked because I wanted to hear! And if
> lots of people seem to be saying the same thing, I might notice. ;)
>
> JK

Thanks for your patience.

And now, come to think of it, I can thank you for having recently
added a feature that would have topped my list of feature requests
for XeTeX 1.0: \special{x:papersize=...}. My list of engines was
becoming cumbersome and unwieldy in order to accommodate a vast (and
growing -- ugh) number of paper sizes. The relief this brought me
verged on religious ecstasy. So, prayer **is** answered...;>}

Thanks again

SGM