[XeTeX] XeTeX 1.0 - request for comments

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Mon Oct 17 11:17:40 CEST 2005

15/10/2005, 6am - Jonathan Kew wrote:

> f. Proper individual character metrics when using native OS X
> fonts. This is harder than it sounds, as TeX wants to know height,
> depth, and italic correction for each character, and this
> information is not present in fonts, only in .tfm's. And it can't
> be derived accurately from the glyph outlines, either.

I am loathe to be tedious, as Bruno Voisin and Will Robertson have
already commented on this, and I have had an earlier email exchange
on this same topic. Still, for the record...

There is a world of typographic options and subtlety available when
this information is made available. It would not have to be for the
entire font (if that makes any difference) but only for the
characters in which I am interested. I don't much care about speed
either -- if the function is slow, again, I need it, at most, for a
handful of characters. This definitely has my vote.

Bruno Voisin's observation concerning VFs is an excellent one as
well. Also has my vote.

SGM