[XeTeX] Special characters and Stempel Garamond

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Oct 9 15:09:16 CEST 2005

On 9 Oct 2005, at 1:32 pm, Simon Spiegel wrote:

> Hi everbody,
>
> I have a problem with the following minimal example:
>
> %!TEX TS-program=xelatex
> %!TEX encoding=UTF-8 Unicode
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec,xunicode}
> \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Stempel Garamond LT Std Roman}
> \begin{document}
> \emph{na\'{u}{\v c}naja fant\'{a}stika}
> \end{document}
>
> When compiled, it looks like this:
>
> <Pasted Graphic 1.pdf>
> Several things are strange. I also use Stempel Garamond in LaTeX
> and there I don't have the problem. Of course, it's not the same
> version (not the OpenType version), but it's still strange. OTOH,
> the snippet typesets correctly when I either use Adobe Garamond Pro
> or the standard CM.
>
> Is this a broken font or related to either fontspec or xunicode?

Looks to me like the Stempel Garamond LT Std Roman font you're using
doesn't include the character U+010D "latin small letter c with
caron", which is what {\v c} will map to in Unicode, using xunicode.sty.

Adobe Garamond Pro, on the other hand, does support this character.

And when you CM, the accent is placed using the TeX \accent command,
so that also works.

So it's a broken font - or not exactly broken, but a font that
doesn't cover all the Unicode characters you're wanting to use. I'd
encourage you to contact the vendor and ask them to support a fuller
repertoire of characters; there's really no excuse for omitting
simple accented Latin characters like this.

(Is this Adobe's font you're using? A quick look online suggests that
Linotype may offer a Stempel Garamond with a better collection of
accented letters.)