[XeTeX] xelatex.fmt not found after update

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Oct 7 13:07:41 CEST 2005

On Oct 7, 2005, at 3:32 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Hello Herb!
>
> This doesn't seem to happen! Making of formats in the
> *EXPERIMENTAL* teTeX seems to fail completely. A reason can be the
> many fmtutil.cnf files:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  Admin  4947 30 Sep 12:57 /Users/Admin/Library/
> texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  4944  6 Okt 23:53 /usr/local/teTeX/share/
> texmf.local/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  4971  7 Okt 00:14 /usr/local/teTeX/share/
> texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
>
> The first one was created when I did a 'private' install.

Howdy,

Certainly.

> The second one was created by the recent TeX i-Package (could be
> changed by the ConTeXt beta updater too), and the last one is most
> probably from the XeTeX i-Package.

Really? I thought that was there as part of the teTeX distribution
while the one in .../texmf.local/web2c/ was created by Gerben's
distribution. I know that I had to copy over another fmtutil.cnf from
a system where it worked before (I didn't do a clean install) where
the only difference was the XeTeX and XeLaTeX lines at the bottom. It
is true that your personal fmutil.cnf file will be seen before the
texmf.local one and that before the texmf version and fmutil(-sys)
stops after the first one.

Is there a utility that updates fmtutil.cnf rather than editing it
directly; like updmap(-sys) can update its configuration file.

> And this seems to be the culprit! It's obviously /usr/local/teTeX/
> share/texmf.local/web2c/fmtutil.cnf which is now used to record
> which formats need to be created, but the XeTeX i-Package records
> its needs (still) in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf!
>
> Editing /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/fmtutil.cnf to get
> xetex uncommented, made 'sudo fmtutil-sys --missing' create
> xetex.fmt in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c finally.
> Jon's editing step is the right one to correct the /old/ (still
> recent?) XeTeX i-Package in the new *EXPERIMENTAL* environment.
> Plus invoking 'sudo fmtutil-sys --missing'.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete

Yes, it requires a small fix in the XeTeX i-package to ``fix'' the
correct fmtutil.cnf and to choose the correct version of fmutil(-sys)
for creating the formats in the right location. You notice that the
TeX i-package now asks whether you want a Personal or Global install
and will use the corresponding fmtutil and updmap (are there others?).

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest.com)